Friday, October 21, 2022

Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe

Fall Baking Challenge - Sugar Cookie Pumpkins




To be clear, a sugar cookie decorated to look like a pumpkin, not a pumpkin flavored sugar cookie. I think there's enough foods out there that taste like pumpkin. Am I right?

I got my inspiration from JoyFoodSunshine on Pinterest.  She has a ton of delicious recipes.  I already have a sugar cookie recipe that works perfect for me. I posted it below. Keep reading for the recipe. I just really liked how the cookies were decorated and it's fairly fast and easy. I was able to bake and decorate all in one day.

I used the Wilton Brand Royal Icing that comes in a box. All you have to do is mix in some water and voila. Done. 

I wasn't sure which tip they actually used so each color has its own. For the white cookie, I forgot to put a tip on, so I just folded the tip and cut a shape out to mimic the metal tip star shapes (my cookies turned out a bit sloppy in my opinion, but I've come to realize I am my worst critic. 

 I think that even if though they aren't perfect, they're still cute and would make nice gifts. The frosting dries hard so that would be the longest you'd have to wait before packaging.

Here is my recipe for perfectly rollable sugar cookies. This recipe makes 18-24 cookies, depending on thickness.



Sugar Cookie Recipe


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of butter at room temperature
  • 1 2/3 cups of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 2/3 c flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
Directions:

Mix together butter and sugar. I use a hand mixer. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until combined. Add flour, baking powder and salt. I mix with a spoon until the dough forms into a ball. Cover and let rest for one hour up to overnight. 

When ready, turn on oven to 350 degrees. I bake mine at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Take the dough, roll out and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, definitely check at the 8-minute mark and keep an eye on them.  

Let cool and then you can decorate.

End Result


The two below are my actual cookies. A bit messy but I didn't know which tip to use and so I just picked a couple. You can see how I didn't mix my blue coloring all the way. It has a faded effect. I kinda like it though. I was going to go for a teal color but I found this other blue shade so I just went for it.


pumpkin theme sugar cookie
Pumpkin theme sugar cookie

Final result

Do you have any ideas for my next cookie? Let me know, I always love a cookie challenge. Stay tuned for next week's cookie, my sister calls them little stabbies. I friggin' love Halloween!
knife shaped cookie cutter
Knife shaped cookie cutter


If you try this recipe, please share pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Bought a Truck Camper Sight Unseen from Another State

In the Market for a Truck Camper? Are You Considering Another State? After looking for my next camping tiny home (recreational vehicle), I f...